History of Snow Hill Church
Snow Hill Congregational Methodist Church was first organized on December 10, 1917 through the efforts of: John H. Beck, W.R. Hardie, James M. Fountain, Lewis H. Fountain, and B. I. Beck.
The first organizational structure of Snow Hill Church consisted of the following men:
- Reverend W. B. Costley was called to
serve as the first Pastor.
- The first Board of Trustees
consisted of Mr. F. M. Fountain, Mr. W. R. Hardie, and Mr. J. H. Beck.
- The first Board of Stewards
consisted of Mr. L. J. Fountain and Mr. F. M. Fountain.
- The first Board of Deacons consisted
of Mr. B. M. Beck and Mr. J. P. Beck.
The following men have served as pastors of Snow Hill:
- Rev. W. B. Costley, 1918 - 1919
- Rev. J. F. Holliman, 1919 - 1937 (During these years, Rev. W. H. Hearse and Rev. G. H. English substituted when Rev. Holliman was unable to attend.)
- Rev. W. M. Black, 1937 - 1960 (Rev. Mills preached for a short time in
- Rev. Roy Shurm, 1960 - 1963
- Rev. Wyman Rodeheaver, 1963 - 1964
- Rev. Billy McNeal, 1964 - 1965
- Rev. Gene Allen, 1965 - 1976
- Rev. Wendell Thomas, 1976 - 1985
- Rev. Ronnie Bryant, 1985 - 1987
- Rev. Johnny Horne, 1988 - 2000
- Rev. Larry Matheson, 2000 - 2002
- Rev. Randy King, 2002 - 2008
- Rev. Phillip Cook 2008 - present
Upon its organization, Snow Hill members began to meet in an old school house located on the properties of what is now the Snow Hill Cemetery while a church sanctuary was under construction. The original sanctuary was completed and the first services where held on the second Sunday of April, 1918. Sunday School rooms were added to this original sanctuary in 1965. As Snow Hill continued to grow, the members stepped out in faith and, with only ninety-seven cents in a building fund, began the construction of a parsonage in 1975. With faith, love, and an expectant hope, the parsonage was completed in 1976 and, by the grace of God, was paid in full upon completion. In 1976 the membership of Snow Hill purchased one acre from Frank Fountain to expand the parking area. The year 1980 brought with it another phase in the growth of Snow Hill as the members began construction of a new sanctuary; completed in 1981 this same sanctuary still serves as the primary center of worship. In 1984 a Fellowship Hall was completed which joined the original sanctuary and Sunday School rooms to the new sanctuary. The purchase of one additional acre of land in 2008 would not only add to Snow Hill Church property for future expansion but also solidified the commitment of Snow Hill Church membership to an expanding future. Renovations to the current facilities began in February 2009 and were completed before Thanksgiving of 2009.
Snow Hill, in its 91st year, held its first Friends, Family, and Founders Day on April 26, 2009 with a record attendance of 223; has continued to grow in attendance and spiritually. Snow Hill is looking forward to a future of continued growth and prosperity for the Lord under the leadership of Rev. Phillip Cook.